Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Our Birth Story

I hope you are ready...this might be a long one...

This is the story of my precious baby son and how he came into this world...

Eight days ago I woke up at 4:30 in the morning knowing it was the last day of my pregnancy. I was excited, nervous, scared, and anxious to see who has been living in my tummy these last nine months.

I didn't have to be at the hospital until 9 but I couldn't sleep, so I watched some movies listened to my stomach growl (I was starving!), and then I decided to give myself a make-over. I had originally planned to just show up at the hospital clean and natural, but with time on my hands and new mascara in my makeup bag I decided to go full Hollywood Glam for my big day (ok - maybe "hollywood Glam" is a bit of an overstatement - but I did wear make up and do my  hair).

We arrived at the hospital and I got checked into my room (like it's a hotel or something) and then we were ready! It wasn't long before they took me back to get started. I actually walked back to the OR (which was weird and a bit scary). I started to think about the surgery and I began to get really nervous - I thought about bolting but then the baby would have to come out at some point so I'd just end up back there anyway....so I stayed.
I don't look so sure about things now.


Once I was in and ready they brought my husband back and the show got started. At one point my doctor said "ok - here we go, I'll have this baby out in 60 seconds." But that didn't exactly happen. Apparently my uterus was pretty cozy with this baby boy and she held on to him for dear life (see I told you my uterus is a Paris Hilton - a spoiled little brat...who doesn't like to share). They literally spent about 30 mins trying to remove this child from my body. The boy would not come out. The doctor had to use the vacuum extractor several times as well as forceps (on a c-section baby!!). I felt like they were yanking my body in every direction possible. It was very rough. Finally, at 12:59 (my section started at 12:15) my son was born. He was perfect. Big and perfect - 8 pounds and 6 ounces of miraculous perfection!

And then I woke up in my maternity suite.

Apparently there was even more trouble after getting the baby out. Putting me back together was no easy task. It was taking quite awhile. I was getting scared because I knew something wasn't quite right - I am not sure what led up to it but they put me "out" and that was that.

My doctor came in later and explained that my body did not want to cooperate with the procedure. Apparently, between my scar tissue and hostile uterus it really put up a fight. He explained that I had lost a lot of blood and may still need a blood transfusion later on, but they were going to keep checking my labs to see. He then proceeded to tell me that he didn't think it was safe for me to get pregnant again (And there it is!). He said my uterus suffered a lot of trauma and he just wasn't sure that it could take anymore. (You know when I think about my uterus I imagine it looks like that octopus lady Ursula from The Little Mermaid - yep - a little mix between Ursula the sea witch and Paris Hilton).

So, this child that almost wasn't really will be my last baby. The strikes against my fertility keep on coming...and my body is literally falling apart (although I never did have to have that blood transfusion)...but we have our sweet baby boy and our sweet big boy and our family is...complete.

And, I am once again the Goddess of Infertility...but I think I'll just go by Goddess and that's all!
 ______________________________________________

Our Sweet Liam Jamison was born on Jan 21st, after years of praying and hoping our dreams came true. We are in love and our family is...complete...perfectly complete!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you and your little one are doing well! Can't wait to see pictures!!! Dang bodies.... always doing something wrong!

    ReplyDelete