Friday, July 31, 2009

Lucky Duck

At 5:30 a.m. this morning I woke to the blaring sound of the alarm clock (it is my summer vacation mind you). At first I wanted to reach over and throw the stupid thing out of the window, then I remembered...doctor's appointment! I shot out of bed and began the preparations for you know "that" kind of appointment. By 7:00 we were in the car and on our way.

As they call my name to go in, I am confident and cool. I am expecting good news today. However, the confidence flew right out the window when I heard the words, "step up onto the scale please." Damn it! The carrot cake is getting the last word after all. Luckily, I didn't gain...didn't lose, but still didn't gain!

Once we are in the room I instruct my husband to sit in the chair behind the curtain (I am still a little modest about this stuff). The doctor however had a different approach, she boisterously enters the room like a giant ball of sunshine and says to my husband, " What are ya shy or something? Get on out of there and enjoy the show!" And he did. I didn't mind really, she was right he needs to kind of know what is going on too.
During the exam she gives us a little tour of my uterus on the ultrasound screen using words like: beautiful, adorable, and cutie pie to describe the various things that she sees. For example, my bladder was adorable, my uterus was beautiful, and the follicles on my ovaries were just little ol' cutie pies. (Secretly I was proud that I had a beautiful uterus).
Turns out that I have five follicles that could turn into fertilizable eggs. Wow...this is the great news that I was hoping for! We are stoked! We were kind of freaked by the number 5, but beggars can't be choosers, right?

As I am just about to leave the office another patient says to me, "how'd it go, good news?" And then I said something that one can only really say in a fertility clinic (or in a hen house I guess) "yes, I have 5 good eggs." "Ohhhh," she replies, "Lucky Duck, I only had 3."

And I left with a renewed sense of confidence, because I was after all a very lucky duck!

No comments:

Post a Comment