Sunday, May 23, 2010

In Sickness and in Health

Well, it looks as if cancer has made its way to my home. My husband got a preliminary diagnoses of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

The good news: It is a CURABLE caner!!!

The bad news: It's still cancer.

After seeing 2 more doctors, they have determined that he has Stage 2 Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It is not an official diagnosis because he has to have yet another biopsy. However, the PET scan did show positive for cancer and all other tests point to Hodgkin's. At this point I want it to be Hodgkin's so we can get this show on the road, and of course because it is the "good cancer" (oxymoron much?).

We were told by our (and yes I refer to this with us, we, and our because it seems like it is happening to both of us...and of course because of my innate need to make everything about me) Medical Oncologist that the treatment for this disease can lead to infertility....seriously??? So we are now looking into Chryo-preservation (which is a fancy way to say we are going to have his junk frozen). Our current fertility doctor offers this service - lucky us!

I am wondering if we can just throw it in a ziploc bag, pop it in the freezer, and call it a day. It would be way cheaper and so much easier!

I know I mentioned this before - but someone up there is working really hard to keep us from reproducing. Maybe it is the lethal gene pool combination. I am Italian and he's Irish, we have already unleashed one son upon this earth...perhaps they couldn't handle another.

Anyway...
I am not scared of the cancer part - I am scared of the treatment part. I just don't know how much (or maybe how little) it will change our lives. I am scared of what I don't know. But what I do know is this: WE WILL MAKE IT THROUGH THIS WHOLE DEAL!! and WE WILL HAVE ANOTHER CHILD! Someday - someway...it WILL happen!


So...
At first I kept asking why is this happening to us, and then my husband kind of set me straight - he explained that knowing WHY would not change the fact that it IS still happening. We just have to deal with it. And so we are. One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment