Friday, October 15, 2010

Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

I suppose I should start by updating you on all of the craziness that has gone on these last few weeks.

I managed to successfully inject myself with RAGING hormones 3 times per night for a few weeks. I only gave myself about 47 bruises and turned my not-to-pretty tummy into an even bigger wreck - I mean really... it is gross! (for a while it was looking like blueberry muffin batter)

The night before I was to go in for my "Egg Retrieval" I ended up in the ER with my husband. I came home from work and he was burning up with a fever. Since he is a chemotherapy patient the doctor told us to go directly to the ER. We were there until about 1:00 am. They were able to get his fever down and everything else checked out ok (thank goodness) so they sent us on our way...again at 1:30 AM!!! I remember getting in bed at around 1:45ish. I had to be at the surgery center at 6:30 and at my sisters house at 5:30 (so she could drive me) so I was up again at 4:00 AM!!!! I had to get up early to take care of all of those tasks that one must do before she has a team of people all up in her GLORIA! Anyway, we made it to the surgery center on time and completely manicured for the procedure.

Operation: Egg Hunt

Since it was my first time having my eggs retrieved I had no idea what to expect. They took me to the O.R. and strapped me down...next thing I know I am waking up in recovery. That was easy! Until, I tried to get up. Holy Moly...what did they do go in there with a jack hammer to get those eggs? My mid section was swollen three times its size and felt like there had been and ovarian sumo wrestling match going on. I was in pain. But, it was nothing I couldn't handle!

After the procedure my sister took me to her house to recover. My husband was home sick at our house and I was laid up in another one...it was by far one of the craziest days of my life. But, worth every minute of it!

I guess it was around 1:00 in the afternoon when I got one of the most amazing, but strangest phone calls of my life...

My doctor's office called to tell me that they retrieved 10 (ten) eggs! (Doesn't that just sound weird.)

The next day they called to inform me that they had fertilized the eggs (with the frozen junk) and we now had 8 embryos!!!!!! EMBRYOS...That is how a baby begins!!!!

So now we are approaching our transfer date. The day that they will put those embryos (I don't know how many yet) into my womb and God will do his work. I am excited! I feel very peaceful and calm (so far).

As I think about my embryos...I secretly take comfort in knowing that technically I have 8 little baby cells that belong to me. My babies are here, they are just waiting for their mommy to come and get them.

As far as the hormones and preparing my body for the possibility of a pregnancy goes...I am a train wreck. I am on 2 hormone pills and a steroid twice a day. I have found that I can't sit still for even a minute, but when I am busy I just want to eat stuff...or yell at people. My boobs feel as if they are literally going to fall off (which would really suck) and my belly feels as if all 8 of those babies are in it having a soccer game. But, again...it is all worth it!

It also gives me great joy to know that my husband only has 1 more treatment left!! I have no idea what we were thinking when we decided to do all of this at the same time...but there is a reason, it will all be over at the end of this month and hopefully we can just enjoy and very healthy pregnancy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment